Social Media – A powerful tool
In today’s fast changing scenario, one needs to be connected to the internet to remain updated with the current affairs, news etc. One can’t wait for the next day news paper to get updates. So, there is a need of hour for everyone to remain connected with the internet. And internet can be accessed through various digital devices like PCs, Laptops and smart phones. In present times, almost every person has smart phones. These smart phones remain with the person most of the time than anything else. It is more of body part than a possession of an object of convenience or service. One feels incomplete without the smart phone. Similarly in education sector, there is trend of studying and reading from Digital media like E-books, newsletters, video tutorials etc.
An internet is a service to connect to the world of websites. Among several websites, there are some websites which are meant for social networking. The social networking sites include Flickr, Facebook, Google+, hi5, YouTube, LinkedIn, Mouthshut.com, Pinterest, Tumblr., Twitter, Instagram, Ibibo, Goodreads, Quora, Pagalguy etc. There are millions of people who are using these social networking sites. The reasons for using these sites are as follows:
- To connect with their friends and relatives.
- To post and share ideas, pictures, videos etc.
- To seek advice or gain knowledge and insight about any topic.
The above activities are the most important factors that make people to use internet very often. This has resulted in boosting the growth of internet usage. Considering this, it can be sense that there are a lot of customers can be found through social media for the company’s products or services.
Let us take a scenario of a Delhi-based company, which sells cakes online. The digital marketer head is required to enforce a strategy to increase the reach of cake brand to as many people online in Delhi. Any leads outside Delhi would be considered a waste of your marketing budget as one can only physically deliver to this city. The digital marketer head can use following social media marketing strategy to improve your company’s reach.
- He can create Facebook page particularly for Delhi residents, promoting cakes of the company through pictures, regular posts, stories, images etc. to engage the audience with company’s Facebook page.
- He can find out groups on Social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ etc. that meant for Delhi people only. He can join those groups and promote cakes of his company. Social media is a great platform to collect the data of birthdays, marriage anniversary, work anniversary etc. at very low cost. Since he can curate the birthday data from social media platform, send promotional, customized birthday wishes two day earlier along with the customized cakes offer to the customers.
- He can also look for the groups that are related to parties, food or recipes and specify the USPs of the cakes on those groups.
From the above case, it can be concluded that running promotional campaigns over the social media is cost-effective. This indicates the huge scope of social media growth. Growth in two ways: one in terms of usage, and another in terms of networking with the people. There is growing use of social media all over the world and thereby increasing the reach of the company to the every nook and cranny of the world.
MBA (2nd Year)